Sunday, January 16, 2011

Packing List and Plane List

This list is aside from what I'd 'normally' pack or what I did instead of the usual. Again, thanks from the other adoptive parents that travelled before and let me learn from them.


In addition to our court clothes I took 3 pairs of cotton capri's for both Emma and I along with lightweight long sleeve or 3/4 length shirts. John chose jeans. I wanted to be modestly dressed on the plane but cool enough and comfortable so I found lightweight yoga pants and yoga/workout long sleeve shirt for the plane.

Wool cardigan shrug for plane-kept me warm, just not too warm
My work-out shoes and slippers
Very warm Pj's:Flannels would be good, maybe with long johns!
Shampoo and conditioner, and I was glad to have my own soap too.
Book reading light
Earplugs
Bug spray
Hand sanitizer and handwipes
Feminine hygiene products
Sunblock
Flashlight including one that goes on the head
Wine bottle opener
Books
2 travel clocks (I wanted one on my side of the bed too to check the time when I woke in the night)
sunglasses
TP (in case somewhere didn't have it when we were out)

Food: nuts, different kinds of granola bars, laughing cow cheese, cup o noodle, easy mac n cheese, chocolate, apple sauce pots, other dried meals that you add water too and nuke - many kinds in store these days

Round the neck, hide under the shirt money carrier
Extension cord
Electrical volt converter & plug adapter
Enough luggage locks for each bag including carry-ons and a couple of extra in case you need them in-country for a camera bag, purse etc.

Camera, camcorder, extra batteries, memory cards, or film
Good hand, body, face cream - it's SO dry there!

Tums, zantac or prilosec, claritin, oral benadryl, powdered Gatorade and Pedialyte (if you're traveling with kids,) tylenol, advil, band-aids of different sizes, gauze pads and medical tape, alcohol wipes, latex gloves, fingersplint, butterfly bandages, visine, thermometer, hydrocortisone cream, topical benadryl, pepto bismol, sudafed, delsym cough med, Halls honey lemon cough drops, immodium ad, neosporin.

Prescriptions for: Anti-nausea meds (melts under the tongue,) cipro for travelers diahrrea, red-eye drops. Think about an Epi-pen. We took each of these for each of us just in case.



I know this medical list looks a little long but I wanted to have as much with me as possible in case something happened while we were over there, especially with traveling with the Bean.



On the plane I took:
hand sanitizer
eye mask
books/books on i-pod
noise canceling earphones
inflatable neck pillow from Brookstone
tylenol
journal - make notes somewhere each day of where you went, smells, sounds, impressions. You'll forget so quickly.
computer with movies (Emirates didn't have any I wanted to see so I was glad to have my own)
For the Bean I found a Panasonic 13 hour DVD player
Different snacks
Light wool cardigan
Modest but lightweight, cool yoga type clothes
Sleep-Aid
FYI my seat power in the seat didn't work
Gladney travel packet and other paperwork
Face/hand cream - it was really drying being in the air that long

For the Bean: different games, snacks and THE KINDLE - omg, love that thing. Might have to get one for me too! The battery lasted the whole trip!



A backpack would have worked better to fit under our seat so we could reach stuff in flight than the roll-alongs we brought that had to go above us. Will only bring a roll along next time for the extra diapers, food and clothes.

A note for when you bring your babies home: I have been traveling internationally with the Bean since she was 6 weeks old. I always traveled with 3 times the amount of food, clothes and diapers than I thought the flight time called for. That way if she got an upset tummy, or we were delayed, or detoured and were on the ground extra hours/days I was covered. I had friends that learned the hard way and I never thought it was worth taking the chance!

I hope that helps someone, or saves you sometime.

Please pray that we will be able to use it again really soon for our second trip.

Let's all hope for all of us this week is the week all will be done and ok.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for taking the time to share this list! Hopefully we'll be making the trip too, in a few months, and it is so great to be able to learn from your experience. Praying you get to bring home your little angels very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto to what Allison said. Someday we'll need it...sigh.

    ReplyDelete

l

Followers